Breast cancer detection in automated breast ultrasound
As a complementary modality to mammography, breast ultrasound has a high specificity and its sensitivity can surpass that of mammography for patients with highly dense breast. 3D breast ultrasound system overcomes the drawbacks of 2D hand-held ultrasound (US) which provides 3D ultrasound images of the breast from the skin line to the chest wall. For patients with dense breast tissue or for patients that are more susceptible to radiation induced breast carcinoma, automated 3D breast ultrasound might prove to be a suitable screening modality for breast lesions. However, the reading of these 3D breast ultrasound images is time consuming for radiologists.
The aim of this project is to develop a computer-aided detection (CAD) system to play an important role in the future, as it has the potential to make reading more efficient and reduce reading errors.
- Funding for this project is provided by Highly Accurate Breast Cancer Diagnosis (HAMAM).
- T. Tan, B. Platel, H. Huisman and N. Karssemeijer. "Chest wall segmentation in automated 3D breast ultrasound using a cylinder model", in: MICCAI Workshop: Breast Image Analysis, 2011. PDF
- T. Tan, B. Platel, T. Twellmann, G. van Schie, R. Mus, A. Grivegnee, L. Tabar and N. Karssemeijer. "Computer aided interpretation of lesions in automated 3D breast ultrasound", in: MICCAI Workshop: Breast Image Analysis, 2011. PDF
- T. Tan, H. Huisman, B. Platel, A. Grivignee, R. Mus and N. Karssemeijer. "Classification of Breast Lesions in Automated 3D Breast Ultrasound", in: Medical Imaging, volume 7963 of Proceedings of the SPIE, 2011, page 79630X. Abstract/PDF DOI Citations found: 2
- N. Karssemeijer, T. Tan, B. Platel, T. Twellmann, L. Tabar, A. Grivignee, R. Mus and H. Huisman. "A Novel System for Computer-aided Lesion Classification in Automated 3D Breast Ultrasound", in: Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America, 2011. Abstract/PDF
- N. Karssemeijer, T. Tan, T. Twellmann, G. van Schie, A. Grivignee, L. Tabar, R. Mann and R. Mus. "Computer Aided Interpretation of Lesions in Automated 3D Breast Ultrasound", in: Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America, 2011. Abstract/PDF