Computed tomography is an important tool to assess lung damage from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. We develop AI tools for CT in COPD. Eva van Rikxoort was leading this research in a large group until she founded Thirona. Currently, research on COPD within DIAG continues in the Solve study funded by the Dutch Lung Foundation.
CT image analysis for COPD
- W. Xie, C. Jacobs, J. Charbonnier and B. van Ginneken, "Relational Modeling for Robust and Efficient Pulmonary Lobe Segmentation in CT Scans", IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 2020;39(8):2664-2675.
- J. Charbonnier, E. Pompe, C. Moore, S. Humphries, B. van Ginneken, B. Make, E. Regan, J. Crapo, E. van Rikxoort and D. Lynch, "Airway wall thickening on CT: Relation to smoking status and severity of COPD", Respiratory Medicine, 2019;146:36-41.
- L. Estrella, "Quantification of COPD biomarkers in thoracic CT scans", 2019.
- L. Gallardo Estrella, E. Pompe, J. Kuhnigk, D. Lynch, S. Bhatt, B. van Ginneken and E. van Rikxoort, "Computed tomography quantification of tracheal abnormalities in COPD and their influence on airflow limitation", Medical Physics, 2017;44(7):3594-3603.
- J. Charbonnier, E. van Rikxoort, A. Setio, C. Schaefer-Prokop, B. van Ginneken and F. Ciompi, "Improving Airway Segmentation in Computed Tomography using Leak Detection with Convolutional Networks", Medical Image Analysis, 2017;36:52-60.
- J. Charbonnier, "Segmentation & quantification of airways and blood vessels in chest CT", 2017.
- J. Charbonnier, M. Brink, F. Ciompi, E. Scholten, C. Schaefer-Prokop and E. van Rikxoort, "Automatic Pulmonary Artery-Vein Separation and Classification in Computed Tomography Using Tree Partitioning and Peripheral Vessel Matching", IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 2016:882-892.
- K. Klooster, N. ten Hacken, J. Hartman, H. Kerstjens, E. van Rikxoort and D. Slebos, "Endobronchial Valves for Emphysema without Interlobar Collateral Ventilation", New England Journal of Medicine, 2015;373(24):2325-2335.
- E. van Rikxoort, "Segmentation of anatomical structures in chest CT scans", 2009.
- A. Bankier, C. Schaefer-Prokop, V. Maertelaer, D. Tack, P. Jaksch, W. Klepetko and P. Gevenois, "Air trapping: comparison of standard-dose and simulated low-dose thin-section CT techniques", Radiology, 2007;242(3):898-906.